This page provides a calculator to solve the sales tax due for a purchased item. In addition, it will give the total price of the item including tax. The total is the item price plus the sales tax. This calculator can also be use to calculate value added taxes (VAT).
Sales Tax Calculator
Enter Values and Press Calculate
To compute the answer or result perform the following steps:
- Enter the price or cost of the item.
- Enter the sales tax rate as a percentage. Do not enter in a decimal value.
- Press Calculate.
Note: The inputs must be positive numbers. Negative or zero entries will produce an error message.
General Sales Tax Info:
Sales tax or consumption tax is the value percentage of goods, leases or service collected by governments. The collected proceeds are then used to support government services. The revenue is used to provide roads, emergency services, schools and other social services.
- Typically, state, county and city sales tax are combined when the transaction occurs.
- Usually, it is collected at the point of sale.
- The consumer or end user pays for the tax.
- The U.S Federal Government does not impose a sales tax.
- Some states do not charge sales tax. Delaware, Montana, Oregon and New Hampshire do not collect sales tax.
- Sales tax is commonly referred to as gross receipts tax.
- Sales tax can be used as a deduction if itemized deductions are used when filing income taxes.
- Some items are exempt from sales tax. For example, many government's do not tax food.
- Internet retailers may or may not collect internet sales tax. Typically, this is based on the physical presence of the business
- Sales tax is not common in wealthy countries. One exception is the United States. Other countries use a value added tax (VAT) system. The European Union uses the VAT method.
Was this page helpful? Share it.
Home: PopularIndex 1Index 2Index 3Index 4Infant ChartMath GeometryPhysics ForceFluid MechanicsFinanceLoan CalculatorNursing Math
Web Apps, Rich Internet Application, Technical Tools, Specifications, How to Guides, Training, Applications, Examples, Tutorials, Reviews, Answers, Test Review Resources, Analysis, Homework Solutions, Help, Data and Information for Engineers, Technicians, Teachers, Tutors, Researchers, K-12 Education, College and High School Students, Science Fair Projects and Scientists
By Jimmy Raymond